Welcome! Today is: January 7, 2014. As of today you only have to write an average of 140 words per day to complete a 50,000 word novel this year. Good Luck!

Friday, January 3, 2014

The Year In Review...


Your resolutions are set, so far you’ve only slacked on one or two of them, and it’s Friday. Time for a How Is Your Writing Coming Along? check. What is that, you ask?

I know, you didn’t really ask. That’s okay, I’ll tell you. Every Friday that I don’t have a guest is your chance to self-brag. Or, if you’ve not done so great, time to fess up.

Here is my brag: Two day’s in (not counting today) and I’ve managed to write every day, as committed, and have written a total of 3500 words. I’m trying to get to the point of writing 5K a day, but not quite there yet. Still some work to do.

Yay me!

Here is my tattle: Being the procrastinator that I am, I have been waiting until 11:00 PM every night to get my writing in. *sigh* I had all these plans to go to bed early, get up early, do it in the morning. Yeah, not so much. At least yet. Still a goal, though.

So as you can see, I’m moving along and have plans to continue to keep improving.

How about you? How are things going for you? Do you have a favorite line, paragraph, whatever you’d like to share? Have you been reading in prep of writing and haven’t started yet? Are you enjoying the last few days with your family before you start? Tell me! I want to know!

Remember: We are all in this together.
 
 
Mary Duncanson, who sometimes writes as Mary Malcolm, lives in North Texas with a menagerie of animals and roommates. She is currently looking to adopt a husband, preferably housebroken, preferably as silly as her. When she’s not on Facebook goofing around, she’s talking to the characters in her head and hoping they talk back. When she’s not doing all that, she can be found wandering around Central Market with a happy, drooly foodie look on her face. Do not judge her, it is her Mecca.
Mary’s been writing since she was a teenager, though she spent quite a few years studying toward becoming a doctor before she realized she wanted to be a full-time author. Unfortunately, the people who own her student loans still want to be paid for the years they supported her medical dreams.
She lives on a steady diet of coffee and chocolate and feels, like Eleanor Roosevelt, that people should believe in the beauty of their dreams. Also, that people should ignore the word “should” because really, it’s kind of a judgmental word. Mary dreams of one day living as a full-time, well-paid novelist (hint, hint) and also of traveling to Chile to pay homage to her soul mate, Pablo Neruda.
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm on deadline, so I've been writing every day as well. I would _love_ to have a 5K per day pace, but I don't know if I'll ever get that fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had more time, I would happily be writing 5k per day. I've written both days. Half a scene last night, and probably finishing that chapter tonight, with a full scene on the 1st. What's really making things difficult is the looming exams that are coming next week. One big one Wednesday, then another Friday, and then the third Monday. Three over the span of less than a week, and I just don't feel prepared. For now, the brief respite of an hour or two every day in my writing has staved off my test anxiety, but I'm spinning my wheels this week. Next week, I'll have professors to help iron out my weaknesses in these engineering courses. Until then, I grind away, often an hour and a half at a time, to get 1/12th of a question completed, only to find out that it's wrong.

    This will not kill me :-\

    ReplyDelete